Vision Board

Vision Board
This is a vision board that I created in September 2010.

Bikram Quote of the Week

"Bikram Yoga is the first time you start loving yourself because it is the first time you start seeing yourself."
- Rajashree Choudhury, (Bikram's wife)

Monday 5 September 2011

Share the Love



I feel that a small shift has happened...a settling in.  It seems that I have relaxed into life a little bit more.  It did not happen without some work.  I been asking myself a question over and over.  "What am I doing this for?"  It is good to bring myself back to centre and remember how I got here and what motivated the shift.  I have also recommitted to doing my daily mantra meditations, writing in my journal, yoga practice (as often as possible), reading positive and supportive books and more time spent in nature.  Slowly, I am beginning to feel a shift happen.  More peace and love.   In particular, I feel a pull toward more and more meditation time.


This past week was a lighter week.  Yahoo!  A little more laughter and smiles all around.  I discovered a new Bikram Yoga blog  "It's a Party Not a Picnic" by Alison O’Connor - writer, comedian, performer and generally obsessed Bikram yogini living in New York City.  So much fun!!  I discovered her blog via an article floating around the Bikram yoga gang on Facebook.   It was an article she wrote as advice for those thinking about trying their first Bikram Yoga class.  (Here is a link to the the article:  Twenty Tips for Your First Bikram Yoga Class ) So funny and true - at the same time!  Take a moment to read it.  It's worth it.    Anyway....Alison is hilarious...especially if you share the same obsession with Bikram yoga (and don't mind a bit of swearing.)   If you are not obsessed with Bikram yoga, then you might not get it and will probably find it all a bit strange.  ;-)


Where this is all leading to....I spent some time the other day reading through her older posts...laughing and talking out loud to her (wishing she could hear me though my computer)   I came across a funny post about John Salvatore guest teaching at her studio.  Loved it!  Of course, I totally related to all of her comments about the class because John taught at my teacher training this past spring.  (Week4 Lessons in Love and Healing)  I am still telling people about his absolutely fab class!  Other than Bikram (and maybe Rajashree and Emmy)....John Salvatore teaches, by far, THE BEST Bikram class ever!!  It was such a great class that I went straight to my room to write down as many of the inspirational things that he said in class... that I could remember, that is...because I was totally exhausted!!  LOL  Later, I tried to reflect on why I loved his class so much?  Besides the humour and entertainment aspect of his teaching, I think it was the passion and love he brought to the room.  Obviously, I am not John Salvatore and could never mimic or copy his class....so how could I bring something of the essence of what he does to my own teaching?   Hmmmm....the only thing I could think of was LOVE.  That was the overwhelming feeling when he walked in the room.  LOVE   We really felt that he loved us, loved Bikram yoga, loved teaching, and loved life.  So, this got me thinking again.  How can I share that kind of love in my class?


You know, Bikram says that you cannot love anyone else until you learn to love yourself.  This is the magic of the yoga!  Slowly, over time, the yoga helps you love yourself, little by little.  I feel it too.  It has helped me love myself.  So, I continue to work on my own practice and share that love with others.  Before I walk into a class to teach, I think for just a second...why am I doing this? What do I want to create in class today?  Love, Love, Love.  Let the students know that I love Bikram yoga...I love myself... and I love them too.   All of them.  The best that I can do, is help them love themselves more and more and more.


A narrow focus is a good thing.  Keep it simple.  LOVE.  Share the love.
Namaste,
Colleen


This post is dedicated to Mackenzie who first taught me about unconditional, pure love.  
Mackenzie  (May 1998 - Sept 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment