Vision Board

Vision Board
This is a vision board that I created in September 2010.

Bikram Quote of the Week

"Bikram Yoga is the first time you start loving yourself because it is the first time you start seeing yourself."
- Rajashree Choudhury, (Bikram's wife)

Sunday 11 September 2011

Advice for Teacher Trainees

So this post is for anyone that might be reading this blog and thinking they want to go to teacher training...or are going this fall 2011.  Everyone else, tune in next week....because this will likely be quite boring for you.   


We had a student, (Stacey) who is going to teacher training this fall, come by our studio to take class.  She lives in Kelowna, BC and is just home in Ottawa for the week visiting family before she heads off to training for 9 weeks.  We were all so excited to see her and hear news from Kelowna.  (Yes...I still miss Kelowna)  Hearing about Stacey's plans for teacher training, spurred the usual conversation about "advice" for teacher training from all of us teachers....what to do, what not to do...all of us piping in with our stories and opinions.  Poor Stacey!   So much advice.  


This got me thinking....what would be good advice for someone heading off to teacher training?  When I ponder it and sit with the thought...I don't come up with that much, really.  Everyone is so different and people have such vastly different experiences, it is hard to say this is the thing you should or shouldn't do.  What was important to me...probably won't be important to anyone else.  But.... I can't help myself.  If you read my earlier posts, you will notice that I was not one of those people who LOVED teacher training.  I struggled through and sometimes really wanted to just go home.  Yet, I still feel the need to share a few things that were important to me and may or may not be important to anyone else....


Colleen's Advice for Teacher Training:
1) If you haven't already started studying your dialogue....do it NOW!  Even on the plane to LA is not too late.  It really helps to have as much of the dialogue started before going as possible.  I am not a big advocate of "know your whole dialogue before you go" (those people just annoyed me at teacher training)...but I certainly was glad that I had started some of it before I went to training.  It takes quite a bit of the pressure off.  For me learning is a layered thing.  So getting in the first layer...as much as possible (not perfect...just the first layer) really helped.


2) Don't worry about the yoga. Most people going to training are young and have fabulous practices....so the yoga is the least of their worries.  You will probably really enjoy the yoga.   Just don't expect your postures to "improve"  dramatically at training.  For some people this did happen, but for many (including me) they actually felt their practice got a bit worse before it got better.  Teacher training is about becoming a good teacher not a "super yogi".   Once you are home, you will likely notice the biggest changes then.   Of course... unless you're older like me...then maybe worry a little bit about the yoga.  I wish I had done more "training" before I went.


3) Find really positive, smiley, fun people to hang out with.  Stay away from negative or crazy people.  If the friends you have made are lots of fun at first...but sometime during training they fall off the deep end and turn into miserable, neurotic, dialogue obsessed, Bikram-hating cynics...just walk away.  You don't have to say anything....just sit with someone new during lecture.  Training is hard enough all on its own.  You don't need anyone else pulling you down. 


4) Dialogue is important, but don't let it take all of the joy out of your training.  Remember....you can keep studying when you get home.  


5) On the other hand...dialogue is important so study your dialogue.  Especially as you get to week 5,6,7....things really start flying by quickly (we did 3 postures in a day at one point!)  so be sure to set aside some time on the weekends to study ahead!  The weekends go by quickly so carve out a little time with a friend to study.  You'll thank me later.


6) RE: Studying dialogue - find one or two people max!  Any more and you waste too much time listening and helping other people.  I know this sounds harsh...but true.  There is very little "free" time at training, so study time is a premium.  Study on your own first (whatever works for you) then meet up with a friend and do Line by Line.  By far the fastest, best method.


7) Late nights and long lectures can take a toll on your body and your mind.  Find time for little naps, healthy food and time alone to rest and recover.  If JC Colins is floating around the Radisson LAX giving massages, definitely book one!   They are amazing and so worth the money.  (She offers a great discount for students)


8) Finally....the packing list.  I posted my original packing list back in April and then went back and revised it after training with my notes in orange.  If you're packing....this may be helpful:

The List: Notes in Orange were added after training.


  • Passport - Obvious...and if you're Canadian, don't tell the immigration people you're going to training or a yoga course or anything like that!!   Just say you're going on holiday.  Trust me!  Two teachers from my old studio were turned away by US immigration.
  • Electrolytes - Critical when you're sweating it out in 2 hot classes a day (Mostly used Rajashree's recommendation: Water, Lemon, Sea Salt & Honey.  Soooo good!   Loved it!!)
  • Vitamins/Hemp Seeds/Healthy Skin Greens  - Did not take one vitamin during training.  Used all of my hemp seeds and healthy skin greens in my morning breakfast shake.
  • Mini Cuisinart Blender  (for my morning breakfast shakes) So happy I brought this with me.  Used it almost every day!  A magic bullet would work well too.
  • Stainless Steel Water Bottles (2) - Worth it to invest in a good one that keeps your water cold during class.  
  • Laptop (cables/cords) Happy I had it but the internet sucks at the hotel.  Could only get on early in the mornings or mid-day on weekends when everyone was out.  Heard some people purchased their own and I think it would be worth it.  
  • Ipod/iphone & Earbuds
  • Camera / extra batteries
  • Journals/note books/fun pens - Keep a journal every day.  You will be surprised afterwards at what you wrote.  Just take a few minutes at the end of each day to record your thoughts, experiences, inspirations, favourite teachers.  So much happens each day it is hard to remember unless you write it down.
  • Destiny Cards - Wrote about these in my blog.  So great to have but not something I am recommending to others necessarily.  Obviously this is a person packing item...not for everyone  
  • Mala Beads - Another very personal packing item.  Not suggesting this for everyone
  • Reiki and Mantra Books - just in case I need them (Did not use these - absolutely no extra time or energy to look at books)
  • Meditation Chair (Backjack) Used it every day in posture clinic.  Many people were envious! Worth hauling that around the airports.
  • Hot Yoga gear - everything I own - about 7 outfits - Remember NO GREEN  Also, you will need a "coverup" of some sort for after class.  You cannot go on the elevators in just  your sweaty yoga gear.
  • Lulu Capris/yoga pants Tank Tops, Skorts & Jackets for posture clinics - For clinics, you have to dress in your "teaching outfit".  For most people this is capris/shorts and a tank top.  You cannot wear regular clothing so make sure you have enough to wear every day (Mon-Fri) Again, nothing GREEN
  • Flip Flops, sandals, running shoes - any comfortable shoe for walking to the grocery store and ocassionally the beach!
  • Bathing Suits!!  
  • Jeans, T-Shirts, Jacket 
  • Cosmetics & blow dryer (Yes...I used them and was happy I brought them along)
  • PJs
  • Dress for Graduation (and all accessories)
  • Lug Travel blanket/pillow - Loved it! Took it to lecture every night.  So many uses!  Supported my lower back in lectures and posture clinics, kept me warm during late night lectures/movies...used it nearly every day. 

*I was going to buy a rice maker or grill for cooking but decided to wait until I get to LA and see what is available at the hotel...and from other students (maybe they will share).  My roommate brought a microwave!! Lucky me!  We also bought a kettle that doubled as an egg cooker and veggie steamer.  Was too tired to do any serious cooking.
I would add: 

1) Ear plugs (just trust me!  You'll want these.  I was lucky, a friend gave me a pair...great during movies that are too loud, trying to study dialogue and people are talking around you, roommates may snore at night, etc.)
2) More comfy clothes for lectures and movie nights.
3) Plate, a good knife for cooking and a few containers for leftovers.
4) Drying rack for wet yoga clothes...we bought this once in LA 
5) Yoga mat spray - disinfectant
6) Small first aid kit - Tylenol, Advil, Gravol, bandaids, antibiotic ointment, etc.
7) Air purifier or something to take humidity out of the room!!  
8) Foot stool for lectures.  I bought one once in LA and loved it during the long lectures.


Go with the flow...enjoy the ride...take each day as it comes and don't get attached to your thoughts!   I can't predict how it will be for you.  You may love it or hate it.  If you find yourself hating it...try to remember why you wanted to take this journey.  Whatever happens...don't worry too much about it.  You will feel differently later.  Often "later" is the same day.


Finally, remember...the real work happens once you're home.  I wish someone would have told me beforehand.  I still remember totally falling apart once I was home and the fabulous Courtney Rodd....Bikram teacher extraodinaire...saying "Didn't anyone tell you that you would be like a little baby when you got out?"  No, Courtney....no one told me.  Thank you!   So, I'm telling all of you now....You will be like a little baby when you get out!!  So, go home if you can.  Get some much needed rest,  love and TLC from your family.  Sleep lots and cuddle.


Namaste,


Colleen



2 comments:

  1. First off, I'm glad to read you're feeling more at home now in Ottawa!

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on training. I'm not going this year, but someday, in the future...

    Just out of curiosity: what do you mean by the memorization technique "Line by Line. By far the fastest, best method."

    All the best to you,
    Simmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simmm, Thanks for writing!

    At teacher training, people use many different techniques for memorizing the Bikram Dialogue. Some methods are quite complicated and including drawing pictures, using letters to represent words and colour coding, etc.

    Line by Line is a method of studying dialogue that I learned from Stacey Shea (owner of Bikram Yoga Green Valley) (Las Vegas area) at a posture clinic during Teacher Training. It helped me so much! When we got to the floor series, we were sometimes having to do 2-3 postures a day. I needed a fast method of memorizing and this method worked for me.

    To start Line by Line, I recommend reviewing the dialogue alone to get familiar with it before working with a friend. Just some quiet time to read it over. Then, with a partner, you take turns working on the dialogue for a particular posture. Your partner reads out the first line of dialogue and you repeat it. If you can repeat it correctly, your partner reads the line back to you again and then adds the next line of the dialogue. You then try to repeat both lines back. If you can do it correctly, your partner reads the first and second line again and adds the third line, etc. You do this until you can say the whole posture. We usually broke it down into paragraphs as a first step. Once we had individual paragraphs, we then worked on putting those together. Usually taking turns switching back and forth.

    Well, I hope things work out for you to go to teacher training sometime in the future. I think you are already on your way....

    With Love, Colleen

    ReplyDelete