Vision Board

Vision Board
This is a vision board that I created in September 2010.

Bikram Quote of the Week

"Bikram Yoga is the first time you start loving yourself because it is the first time you start seeing yourself."
- Rajashree Choudhury, (Bikram's wife)

Sunday 31 July 2011

Ottawa Canada....this is Bikram Yoga!

470 people doing Bikram Yoga at Parliament Hill, Ottawa Canada.  I wonder if the Prime Minister was watching?
I have been in Ottawa for one month working as a full time Bikram Yoga teacher.  So incredible!  Sometimes, I can't believe it myself.  This past week was very exciting for us at Bikram Yoga Ottawa.  We were invited to participate in Parliament Hill Yoga.  Parliament Hill Yoga is an event sponsored and coordinated by Lululemon (Rideau Centre store).  Every Wednesday during the summer months, Lululemon coordinates a noon hour yoga class on the lawn in front of Parliament Hill.  It is a free event for the many downtown government/office workers and well as visitors/tourists.  People are invited to bring a yoga mat, find a place on the lawn and join in!  No experience necessary.  Just a smile and some sunscreen!  It is a really great community event.


This past Wednesday, was Bikram Yoga Ottawa's first time teaching at the event and we had 470 people participate!!  The weather was perfect.  It was warm (27C), sunny with a slight breeze.  Claire and Wendy taught the class, while our Work-share staff demonstrated the postures up at the front of the lawn.  Some of our most dedicated students came and set mats up in the front row as "student demonstrators"...so that the many, many "newbies" could watch them as well.  My role was to walk around quietly, helping people in the back rows and farthest corners of the lawn who might have a difficult time seeing the demonstrators.  Even with a good sound system, there were times it was hard for them to hear instructions. I also kept an eye out for anyone that may not be feeling well or getting a bit too much sun.  It was a real team effort!  I just loved it.


This was a first time for us, so we have many ideas on how to do an even bigger and better event next year.  Thanks to Bill Juliette our sound guy and photographer who helped us out on short notice!  Of course, Lululemon Rideau Centre deserves tremendous credit for putting together such an incredible summer program.
Here is a link to the photos on our Facebook page.   BYO Facebook


Being a Bikram Yoga teacher is an amazing experience.  I realize that most people would question my enthusiasm.  Sometimes I ask myself how I got here.  Why did I jump into the unknown of this completely different way of life?  I still can't answer the question.  It is a work in progress.  There are many days that I wake up questioning it myself.  But, the rewards are many and the sacrifices are few.  Most of the stress comes when I imagine a hardship still to come in the future...something that hasn't even happened!  If I bring myself back to the present moment and ask myself "Am I okay right now?"...the answer is a resounding YES.  So, I'll worry about that future problem if and when it ever comes my way.  For now, back to the present....and lots of Bikram yoga.


Namaste


Colleen



No comments:

Post a Comment