Vision Board

Vision Board
This is a vision board that I created in September 2010.

Bikram Quote of the Week

"Bikram Yoga is the first time you start loving yourself because it is the first time you start seeing yourself."
- Rajashree Choudhury, (Bikram's wife)

Monday 18 April 2011

Bikram Teacher Training - Spring 2011

I'm here!  Arrived in LA on Sunday and then took the airport shuttle over to the LAX Radisson.  Spent most of the day standing in various unbelievably long lines waiting, waiting, waiting (along with 430 other students) to register, get our room keys, find our luggage, get a seat for orientation, etc.  I realized quickly that I would have to shift my expectations...or rather, leave all expectations behind in order to make it through this process.


There were moments in the day when I felt sad about leaving home, nervous about what I would encounter here and questioning if I had made the right decisions.  This, I am told, is totally normal and will happen throughout the training.  So the emotions bubble up here and there but I try to just feel them and then let them pass.


Already, I have met many wonderful people, including my great roommate, Brittany Milove (also known as BLove).  I feel so blessed to have her for my roommate.  She is very bright, easy going about "room stuff" and positive!  I'm looking forward to getting to know her better as the weeks go on.


Today we had our first orientation session with Bikram!   As you would guess, he was full of passion, energy and enthusiasm for this life changing yoga and rather blunt about the way he runs this training!  Our mission:  Listen to the rules; give it 110% all of the time and have fun.   Either you're in all the way for the nine weeks... or you're out.  You choose.


OUR FIRST BIKRAM CLASS!!!!!

We also had our first class in the world's largest Hot Yoga Room.   The hotel converted the Grand Ballroom into our yoga studio for the nine weeks.


OMG!!!!   It was HOT!!   Thank goodness they told us to be in the yoga room 30 min before class.  It think it took the entire 30 min to settle down the panic I was feeling inside.  I have never been in a room so hot.  I managed to stay in the room but believe me it was not easy.  Several people had to be carried out of the room by staff.  I think I managed about half of the postures.  It was CRAZY hot in there.  Today it is hard to imagine 2 classes like that a day for nine weeks.  Everyone says they take it easy on you the first week!   If that's easy...hard is going to be really scary.  This is one time in my life when I can say that you have to just take it one moment, one breath at a time.  
***Our class was filmed for the Today Show.   I'm not sure when it will air on TV but keep your eyes open for it.


We've been told by Bikram and staff that it is best to immerse yourself in the yoga training and not get caught up with facebook and emails and what's happening back home.  Just focus on this experience.  So, I have turned off my cell phone and plan to update this blog whenever it feels right...no particular schedule.  (Given the class we had tonight...no promises on anything!)  It will likely be on Sundays when we have our "day off" from training.


This is a picture of little Baci "helping" me pack.  You can see he was not very happy about me leaving. 




No comments:

Post a Comment